here are two finishs that i did this week.
first, zina’s assignment. this is the colored version of Mercy.
as a class we agreed that the layout still needs work. i still don’t think his thought process is super clear. but for the record he is supposed to be a huge jerk- so i don’t want any redrawing to change that aspect. he’s not holding back because of regret, or because he loves her- it’s more along the lines of, oh wait- this is bad. i just don’t think the action is very clear (better than before, but no perfect)
ideally, i would have to redraw the entire thing to get it exactly how i want. if i were doing that i would give the girl a little bit of indignance near the end. she’s supposed to be displaying mercy as well, by letting him leave- because you know, she could totally take him. she’s got a good thirty pounds on him. but, as it stands now, it just makes her look like a more weaker kind of passive which i don’t like so much.
but that’s it for now.
second, is my final book cover for matt.
zina mentioned something about using a corduroy or denim pattern (since the story comes from that book and it would be kind of cool) but i played around with it and didn’t get anything good. so i was predictable, using some magazine scans to give it a little density. i did stick with a color scheme that reminds me of those things, denim blue, brown corduroys, whatever.
it went over very well in the crit, with some minor nit pick changes- which have already been applied to this version. i also played with the colors a bit, for my own piece of mind. before it was much bluer- but i think i like it more on the brown side, with just the blue light coming from the television.
p.s. all the title type is hand drawn. it looks much better full size- you can see the pencil lines, but i also like that at this scale it looks very well integrated with the other type which is all generated in illustrator.
that’s all for now- maybe some sketches for lori later (god willing)